The Lilac Bloomsday Association presents the 42nd running of the Lilac Bloomsday Run.
This Saturday will be a big day for high school runners from the Spokane area, as the region's top harriers head south for post-season meets in California and Oregon. Nearly 50 individuals will be competing in the Foot Locker West Regional Cross Country Championships at Mt. San Antonio College (Mt. SAC) in southern California, racing against their counterparts from eleven other Western States. On the same day a boys team from North Central will try to put Spokane in the national spotlight again at Nike Cross Nationals in Portland, Oregon, a meet that North Central won in 2008. Nike Cross Nationals are held at Portland Meadows race track in a meet that features 22 of the nation's best high school cross country teams, with the winning team crowned the national champion.
For the nineteenth straight year, over 30 Spokane-area runners had their airline tickets to the Foot Locker meet donated by the Lilac Bloomsday Association. The Bloomsday Association provides airline tickets and ground transportation to runners based on times at regional cross-country meets held in the fall.
"We are always impressed with the quality of talent coming from Spokane area high schools,” said Lilac Bloomsday Association president Carol Hunter. "Bloomsday is proud to be able to help these runners realize their dreams."
For runners competing in the Foot Locker West Regional Meet, the top ten boys and girls will advance to the Foot Locker Cross Country Nationals in San Diego on December 10, joining top qualifiers from the Northeast, South and Midwest. Last year three Spokane runners—Andrew Gardner, Nathan Weitz and Kendra Weitz—all qualified for the meet, with Gardner finishing fourth, one of the highest finishers ever by a Spokane runner.
More information on the Foot Locker Regionals and Nationals may be obtained by logging on to www.footlockercc.com/west. Information on Nike Team Nationals is available at www.runnerspace.com/nxn.
Runners sponsored to Foot Locker Meet by the Lilac Bloomsday Association:
1. Kendra Weitz, Shadle Park
2. Cyra Carlson, Gonzaga Prep
3. Alex Moore, Central Valley
4. Molly Cole, Mt. Spokane
5. Taylor Cherry, Gonzaga Prep
6. Danielle Maldonado, Mead
7. Hannah Allen, Lewis & Clark
8. Gracie Ledwith, Lewis & Clark
9. Brooklin Young, Mt. Spokane
10. Courtney Sherick, University
11. Alison Keenan, Lewis & Clark
12. Skye Sanders, Central Valley
13. Kiah Condos Central Valley
14. Elizabeth Smith, University
15. Ciara West, Mead
16. Sanne Holland, Cheney
17. Jess Mildes, Riverside
1. Andrew Gardner, Mead
2. Nathan Weitz, Shadle Park
3. Sumner Goodwin, Lewis & Clark
4. Hunter Johnson, Mt. Spokane
5. Jake Hombel, University
6. Joel Estelle, Lewis & Clark
7. Conor McCandless, Gonzaga Prep
8. John Dressel, Mt. Spokane
9. Matt Fry, University
10. Nick Hauger, Shadle Park
11. Travis Thorne, Ferris
12. Daniel Schofield, Mead
13. Corey Hunter, Central Valley
14. Kees von Michalofski, Mt. Spokane
15. Kyler Goins, Lewis & Clark
16. Daniel Amann, Deer Park
17. Dayde Collins, Deer Park
# # #